Wednesday, February 11, 2015

How to Heal a Dust Allergy With Hydrogen Peroxide

By Mona Sabalones Gonzalez

All my life I thought I was allergic to dust. Now I know better – it’s mites living in dust balls that are the enemy. The dust allergy always happened in my bedroom, so I cleaned it (every two days) but would end up with a worse allergy of unstoppable sneezing, nasal congestion, and nose and throat itching. A whole roll of toilet paper could be used up in one night. Only a Sinutab capsule could preserve our toilet paper supply.



I noticed that of my three dogs, only one of them, Ashley Belle Pumpernickel, exacerbated this “dust” allergy. But I would (theoretically) slash every particle of dust with a scythe before even considering banning Ashley from the bedroom.
It helped to clean with a surgeon’s mask on, but it was also tedious to wear. I’d clean all my countertops, shelves, everything on top of countertops and on shelves, change sheets weekly, and curtains monthly. Nada.

Then one day on Facebook I saw a list of many alternative uses of hydrogen peroxide. Now, there are two kinds of hydrogen peroxide. They both come in white bottles but one has blue lettering and the other has red. I replaced all my cleansers (including super strong mold cleaners) with the red one, which is stronger, because by then I had a mad fixation of hatred for germs.

Short story – I don’t deal with sneezing allergies at night anymore.

Here are some pointers on cleaning with hydrogen peroxide:

  1. It’s much cheaper than normal cleaners, and more effective than expensive super strong cleansers.
  2. Unlike alcohol, hydrogen peroxide will not disturb paint or varnish.
  3. It’s painful. Don’t let it touch your hands while cleaning. Use a big rag, or (in my case) a thick wad of cotton that is changed several times in a cleaning session (just because I love to look at all the dirt that I have destroyed).
  4. Before you clean the floor with hydrogen peroxide, sweep those dust bunnies up, throw them in a trash bag and stash that trash bag in the garbage bin outside. (But I confess, I have sometimes flushed the dust bunnies down the toilet – not a good long term solution if you love your plumbing system).
  5. For your dog – get a good shampoo for the skin and hair and bathe twice weekly. Your dog will be very grateful for this.
  6. Get a dehumidifier. It will control your dust mite population.

About dust mites (and how they led me to love hydrogen peroxide)
  1. Dust mites emit enzymes that break down human cells to enter our bodies. They are contemptuous douchebags.
  2. Dust mites hang around your house all year. You can’t kill all of them but you can control their population.
  3. When you see a dust bunny, rejoice. You are about to rid yourself of some 19,000 contemptuous dust mites. Okay, that’s thinking positively. A typical dust ball will have only up to 500 of them.  
  4. Dust mites eat dead human and pet skin cells. They are the scum of the earth, literally.


Now, back to hydrogen peroxide – if you want to know other uses of it, go to http://www.naturallivingideas.com/hydrogen-peroxide-uses/.

No comments:

Post a Comment